Frequently Asked Questions:

1. How do I file a police report?

First, contact the police department in the jurisdiction where the crime occurred. Call 911 for emergency situations or (575)646-3311 for non-emergency situations. In order to provide the most accurate information you should contact police as soon after the incident as possible. You can file a report at the police station or have the officer meet you at the scene of the crime.

You will receive a case number for your insurance and to receive updates on the case. This number will also be useful when trying to obtain a copy of the report. There is no fee to file a police report.

2. How can I get a copy of a report?

You may stop by the NMSU Police Department Records Office Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. to pick up a report. Reports are $2.00 (cash or check) and are usually ready between 3-5 days after the initial report was filed.

3. What are the parking rules and can I pay my citation/boot at the Police Department?

The parking office is a separate entity from the Police Department. They can be contacted at 646-1839 or park.nmsu.edu

4. Does the NMSU Police Department do fingerprinting?

The Department is not currently offering fingerprinting to the public.

5. How do I file a complaint on a Police Department employee?

Our Department investigates all complaints against both sworn and civilian employees. A complaint packet is available at the NMSU Police Department Dispatch Center at 725 College Dr. You may take the packet with you and return it at your convenience. You will receive a copy of the forms you fill out for your records and an investigating supervisor will follow up with you.